My father's pipe smoke served as a symbol of an eternal life






On this day we honor a man Senator John McCain.  His life and accomplishments remind me of my father Frank Mastini's life. The parallels are quite astonishing and anyone that knew my Dad would agree he would have made a great politician. Though many of the great things he did for others were not public knowledge.  He confided in me many personal things, and I guess it was because as he said to me "you would not judge me". My Dad did not have a eulogy, or a casket, which upset me so, but all my Dad really wanted is to be remembered by his kindness, stern ideals, and an immigrant that truly made his mark on the world.  I only wish he could have instilled his sense of fairness in my sister and brother.  My Dad was all about that.  It would make my father so sad to hear that even in his death he wanted his children to have a bit of his miraculous journey.  He crafted three model ships for each of his children.  It was in his will that they would be given to us in a very fair way.  It is sad
 that my siblings ignored and voided his will.  Petty and mean.
My father was none of that. Francine and John need to remember what OUR father was all about .  Fairness, came first.  How sad that they have forgotten what and who my Dad was really all about.
He wanted so much for me to carry on his heritage and that is what my trip to Italy was all about.  He instilled his presence in me.  I hope my entire family understands the man he was and the joy he had knowing that a bit of him lives in me . 
My Aunts and Uncles in Italy know that I carry his spirit of kindness and tenacity.  They told me so. I felt loved. 
Late at night as I look at the stars,  I can sometimes smell the faint whiff of cherry tobacco in the air. His way of reminding me that he is still around watching and I 
smile. 
I love you Dad.  I have the memory of seeing you smile and knowing you always had my back. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trying to live a healthy life

This is going to be a challenge

My two battles with cancer/ interview with Madame Arcati